Laurentian Honey and Trout Rillette
The column Laurentian Cuisine celebrates our region’s farmers and producers. The recipes are thoughtfully imagined to allow us to discover local flavours. Julie Zyromski and Valentine Leclerc hereby share their love for the culinary arts and their appreciation for the plant and animal kingdom.
- PORTIONS: ABOUT 8
- PREPARATION TIME: 20 MINUTES
- COOKING TIME: 15 MINUTES
- 2 trout fillets with skin on (about 500g)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt • Pepper, as desired
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) liquid local honey (we love the spring honey from Anicet)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chives or tarragon, finely chopped
- 2 small green onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) mayonnaise
- Zest of two well-washed lemons
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) Espelette pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F with the rack in the middle.
- Place the fillets on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and some pepper.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the centre is well cooked. Let cool completely.
- In a bowl, mix the trout flesh with all other ingredients; mix well. Check seasoning.
- Mix with a spoon to form a homogeneous terrine. Check the seasoning.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 48 hours.
- Serve with olive oil croutons.
Brook trout, or speckled trout, is one of Quebec’s most coveted fish species and is present in large quantities in our lakes. The brook trout can easily be found in the mornings and evenings near river channels, islands and rocky points. The brook trout is known for its delicious flesh which is celebrated as a local favourite.
Beekeepers are abundant throughout the Laurentians and we love the horticultural and holistic attributes that bees and their honey provide. Anicet honey adds a flowery flavour to the rillette and pairs beautifully with the chives while balancing the Espelette pepper.
More from this author by clicking on her photo below
Julie Zyromski8 Posts
Gastronome et productrice de vins à Rivière-Rouge, QC, elle est auteure de Saisons : La table végane ainsi que co-créatrice de Meadow & Land. Gastronome and wine producer in Rivière-Rouge, QC. She is the author of Saisons: La table végane and co-creator of Meadow & Land.